Journal 3 — December 1996
Table of Contents
- Matlock Bath Station / By Laurence Knighton & Glynn Waite
- Extracts from an early Midland timetable / By Glynn Waite & John Gough
- The First Train from Bedford to London
- Leicester Campbell Street / By Alfred Newton & John Gough
- William Cobby / By Roger Brettle
- Midland Railway Literature (1) / By Ted Hancock
- Railway Luncheon Baskets
- Christmas Greetings
- The Stabling of Military Trains / By Laurence Knighton
Comments on Items in Previous Journals
- Proposed military platforms
- Joint arrangements with the L&NW
- Accidents with "Flatirons"
- Where was this photo taken?
A Policeman from Burton-on-Trent: this photograph is believed to have been taken in the late 1890’s. Can anyone say hats of this type were replaced by helmets, or give further details about Midland police uniforms?
The Station Master at Shottle: Herbert Barber was appointed Station Master at Shottle c.1875 and remained in that post until his retirement, at ehich time the station came under the control of Herbert Swift at Hazelwood. The date of Barber’s retirement is not known, other than it was between 1905 and 1916. This photograph was probably taken on that occasion as he appears tobe holding a gift in his hands.
The cover of a complementary booklet advertising the new dining carriages — Nos. 360 and 361. [See issue 1 for further details]