The Society has publicahed a wide range of works touching many aspects
of the Midland Railway; from the people who ran the railway, through
detailed accounts of important railway centres to the the locomotives
that pulled the trains.
- Journal. ISSN 1364-0216. Published three times a year.
- “Midland Retrospective” by John Earl & Steve Huson. ISBN 978-0-9955142-1-8.
- “The Midland Railway Locomotive Works at Derby” by Charles Henry Jones. Paperback, 22 pages, illustrated with photographs, tables and maps. Charles Henry Jones was Assistant Locomotive Superintendent at Derby works from 1888 to his retirement in 1905 serving under Kirtley, Johnson and Deeley. The text of this booklet was originally published in The Illustrated Magazine, in June 1902 and provides a unique insight into the Midla nd Railway’s Locomotive Works at the height of its Edwardian pomp. Many of the photographs are by Thomas Scotton, the Midland Railway’s official photographer.
- “The Functions and Organisation of the Midland Railway Engineer’s Department” by Tony Overton and Roy Burrows. Softback, 86 pages. The comprehensive story of the evolution and development of the Midland Railway’s Engineering Department with chapters covering Telegraphy, Signalling and Estates and how they combined to build and maintain the vast Midland Railway empire. The definitive guide to this often neglected aspect of railway history.
- “British Railways Passenger Engine Workings, Derby District Winter Timetable 1959/1960.” Published by the Society, comb bound, 100 pages. A collection of BR engine workings (“diagrams”) for the Derby District for the Winter Timetable 1959/60. Includes all main - line passenger engine workings in the Derby area, principally LMR Midland Lines but a lso including LM Western Lines and other regional workings into or through the District.
- “Marshalling of Express Trains, July, August and September 1914.” Published by the Society, comb bound, 104 pages. Facsimile copy of an original issued by the Midland Railway for the last summer workings before WW1 representing probably the high point of Midland train services. It sets out details of train formations, through carriage workings, tonnages of individual carriages and the total for the trains, the seating for both classes of travel, together with luggage arrangements.
- “The Midland Railway Steam Motor Carriages” by the late Stephen Summerson. Softback, 34 pages, profusely illustrated with photographs, maps and line drawings, published by The Midland Railway Society.
- “Hassop : a chronology of railway history” by Laurence Knighton. ISBN 0-9537486-5-0. Published 2004, 44 pages, illustrated, £6.50.
- “Driver Fred Lowe of Canklow : The life of a Midland Railway employee from 1903 to 1915”. ISBN 0-9357486-1-8. Published 2001, 132 pages, illustrated, £7.95.
- “Rowsley : a rural railway centre” by Glynn Waite and Laurence Knighton. ISBN 0-9537486-2-6. Published 2003, 132 pages, illustrated, maps. Available in both softback at £15.95 and hardback at £19.95.
- Midland Railway locomotive allocations, 1920. Published 2003. 20 pages, illustrated.
- Midland Railway Sketches by Strephon. Illustrated.
- Newsletter. Nos. 55–66 still available at 50p each.
- “The Midland Railway Steam Motor Carriages” by Stephen Summerson.
- “S. W. Johnson’s locomotive aesthetic beauty — an appreciation” by Jack Braithwaite. ISBN 0-9357486-4-0. Published 2004, 20 pages, illustrated, £3.50.
- “The directors of the Midland Railway : some characters and characteristics” by Roger Brettle. Illustrated, £2.50.
- “The Birmingham West Suburban Railway” by John Edgington. Published 2002. 30 pages, illustrated, maps, £2.50.
- “Railways that never were : (Midland lines projected or unopened)” by John V. Gough. Published 2001. 18 pages, illustrated, maps £2.50.
The Society organises regular tours and often
produces a guide to accompany the tour.
- The roundhouse — Derby : notes in connection with a tour of the former Midland Railway locomotive works roundhouse and offices, Derby. Saturday 7th April 2001
- Notes on the Skipton / Hellifield Tour - May 1997. Out of print.
- Notes on the West Riding Tour - June 1997. Out of print.
- Notes on the Burton & Ashby Light Railway Tour - July 1997.Out of print.
- The Wirksworth and Ripley branches : notes in connection with a tour of the area on Saturday 9th May 1998. Price: £2.50
How to obtain our publications
All Society publications (whilst still in print) can be obtained from
the Society at our stall at exhibitions or from our publications
officer. Please see our publications for sale
page for full details. Our events page lists
where you might find our exhibition stall.
Non Society publications
The Society keeps a stock of other publications relating to the Midland Railway. Please see our publications for sale page for full details.