The Society has commissioned an 4mm scale ‘OO’-gauge model of a 7-plank wagon from Bachmann in the livery of “Griff” of Nuneaton. Only 500 units have been produced and each comes with an individually numbered information card.
The prototype of this model was constructed by Hurst Nelson Ltd in 1905 and was registered with the Midland Railway.
There were several collieries under the Griff umbrella all located on a branch line which joined the LNWR Nuneaton to Coventry line near to Chilvers Colton. The company had a wide spread of customers ranging from Charringtons in the London area and Wilson Carter Pearson in Birmingham. Other known locations where these wagons could be seen included Oxford, Reading and Salisbury. Birmingham City was also a major customer of small coal for power station use.
They were seen at Camp Hill sidings on the Midland Railway in Birmingham and by the 1930s the company owned about 1,400 wagons many of which were only fit for internal use. In the later 1930s the livery was simplified to plain black with white lettering in a similar style to that depicted on this model.