Journal 6 — November 1997

Table of Contents

  • The Diary of Elizabeth Nutt Harwood 1838-184 / By Alan Dance
  • A Midland Parcel Label from a Neath & Brecon Station
  • Early Days at Worcester / By Bryan Wilson
  • The Settle & Carlisle line in the winter of 1946/47 / By Jack Farrar
  • Midland Railway Literature (4) / By Ted Hancock
  • Comments on Items in Previous Journals
    • Midland Railway Lodging Houses / Lodging Turns
    • Freight Services on the Hereford, Hay & Brecon Line
  • Query Corner
    • Query 1: Stations between Bromsgrove and Abbotswood Junction
    • Query 3: Camp Hill
    • Query 2: Control Offices
    • New Query 8: Accident betweem Northampton and Billing Road
  • Letters from Mr A. C. W. Lowe
  • A Magical Blue S&DJR 4–4–0 / By Jack Braithwaite
  • Front cover

    Considering that it was on a main line and that a number of expresses called there, Matlock Bridge was not a very well photographed station — possibly because it was on a curve with a short tunnel at the south end, which made it difficult to include many of the features. The name of the station was shortened to Matlock on 1st July 1905. In the centre of the photograph is Matlock Bridge South signalbox. This was renamed Matlock South in 1905 and closed on 27th February 1910.

  • Rear cover

    Like all of the major pre-grouping companies, the Midland produced several series of postcards for sale to the public. The earliest issues were vignettes, which depicted views at locations served by the company. These were printed by three different companies — Picture Postcard Company Ltd., The Automatic General Stores Ltd., and British Colonial Automatic General Trading Co. Ltd. According to “The Official Railway Postcard Book” (Alsop 1987), these were introduced by July 1900, December 1902, and September 1903 respectively. Examples are illustrated from each of the companies.