Journal 5 — July 1997
Table of Contents
- The Chapeltown Branch Extension : a Centenary / By Roger Brettle
- Freight Services on the Hereford Hay & Brecon Line in 1917 / By Roy Burrows
- Midland Railway Literature (3) / By Ted Hancock
Comments on Items in Previous Journals
- Midland Railway Lodging Houses / Lodging Turns
- John Ashwell, Contractor
- Query 1: Stations between Bromsgrove and Abbotswood Junction
- Query 3: Camp Hill
- Query 2: Control Offices
- Query 5: Shipment Traffic via Birkenhead
- Query 6: Where was this photo taken?
- New Query 7: Bromsgrove Railway Carriage Works
- A Johnson Beauty / By Jack Braithwaite
This interesting shot of a Down Goods leaving Hay can be associated with the article about freight services over the line commencing on page 7. The photograph has actually been scanned off a laser copy, but should still be fairly sharp.
[W. H. Smith collection]
A bill for bed and breakfast at the Midland Grand, St. Pancras, in 1905. The clientele msut have been reasonably well off for 9/- was quite a lot of money in those days. To many, the advertising of separate rates for accomodation and breakfast is a modern practice, but this shows that the Midland were using the arrangement many years ago.