Journal 33 — Winter 2006
Table of Contents
- Some notes on Graffham station / By Robin Cullup
- Locomotive Aesthetics / By Jack Braithwaite
- L&NWR signalling in Derby / By David Harris
- Trade stands / By Glynn Waite
- Alleged victimisation of Bristol locomen / By Glynn Waite
- New Query 34 : another mystery location.
Sparkling windows and creeper clad walls are not things normally associated with the steam locomotive shed but this was the Midland! Hasland had opened in 1875 and introduced a much plainer style of roundhouse. It predominately served the North Derbyshire coalfield and there was a complex of freight only branches nearby. This picture of neatness would change considerably in later years as coal was to prove its (literal) undoing as subsidence was a big problem. The date is between April and December 1907. The shed had a complement of some sixty engines during this period mostly Kinky and Johnson 0–6–0s. Centre stage is a Johnson or Kirtley / rebuilt Johnson 2–4–0 and is probably one of Hasland’s own stud of about twelve of these engines. Somewhat typically the smokebox paint is badly burnt. Johnson 0–6–0 No. 3171 is a visitor and was at Belle Vue (Manchester) about this time.
[Photo C. Goodlad collection: notes by Peter Witts]
Much of this circular — which is obviously aimed at the Scottish market — is self-explanatory, but it does bring out a number of interesting points. The Midland was extolling the virtues of the Pullman carriages, but had not yet introduced dining facilities. One can only speculate about the busy scene at Normanton with a large number of passengers requiring refreshment. But then you had to think about the Up passengers who had joined the trains at Leeds, who would hardly be hungry and have to amuse themselves for half an hour — or the Down Leeds passengers who were being delayed so near to their destination. Note that connections with stations on the L&Y system were originally via Skipton, the link via Hellifield and Blackburn not being brought into use until June 1880. The Midland certainly endeavoured to link the S&C — which opened on 1st May 1876 — with the principal parts of its system.
[L. Knighton collection]