Journal 28 — Summer 2005
Table of Contents
- Accident at St. Mary's Junction — 8th February 1906 / By David Harris
- Mr. Marillier pays a visit to Kettering / By Robin Cullup
- Boiler Explosion Onboard the Talbot / By Michael Walker
- Wilson Station — an early closure / By David Birt
- John Knowles / By Philip Cousins
- An Extraordinary Source of Knowledge / By Eddie Johnson & David Tee
- Locomotive Aesthetics / By Jack Braithwaite
- The Centenary of the Mansfield colliery branch / By Roger Brettle
- The Battle of the Engines — Nottingham 1852 / By Andrew Surry
- The Derby C&W foremens' Outing of 1919 / By Glynn Waite
- Alarming Accident at the Midland Station, Nottingham [from the Newark Advertiser, 15th October 1879] / By Tony Wall
- Miscellaneous Midland Information / By Glynn Waite
- New query 39 : Can you identify the station (1)?
- New query 40 : Can you identify the station (2)?
- New query 41 : Circular plate wagon — D322
- New query 42 : Locomotive loans between the Midland, War Department and other companies
Comments on Items in Previous Journals
- Early accidents on the Midland Railway: 1847 [No. 23, p.1]
- St. Andrews church, Derby [No. 26, back cover; No. 27, p.1]
- Some features of the line — Nottingham to Newark [No. 26, p.1; No. 27, p.20]
- Passenger classification on MR in the 19th century [No. 27, p.1]
Mansfield Colliery, initially known as Crown Farm Colliery started production in 1906. It was reached by a branch off the Mansfield to Southwell line, which opened in January 1905. The wagons of the owner, the Bolsover Colliery Co. Ltd., are prominent, this being the first of their collieries in Nottinghamshire as the mining area expanded eastwards into the concealed coal measures. No.3383 was built in 1892 as 2106 and never received a larger boiler, being withdrawn in 1935. Delivered in 1899 as No.2409, No.3588 received its larger ‘H’ class boiler in 1908 along with the more modern Deeley cab that did at least provide the locomen with a proper roof over their heads. Despite its more powerful boiler No. 3588 was withdrawn in 1926. Two years later all locos carrying these boilers had been rebuilt or withdrawn, yet engines in a condition similar to No.3383 remained until 1959. Both these engines remained in the Nottingham district for most of their lives. As neither are very clean, this photo may date from the post Great War period. The partly obscured wagon belongs to Albert Usher & Co., a firm of coal merchants that had many depots in London, including two on the Midland Railway.
[Photograph J. Ryan collection; notes by Peter Witts]
Because of the number of items in this issue, there was little space to include an illustration on the back cover that needed an extensive description. We therefore show a rather attractive advertisement for the 11.3Oam St. Pancras to Glasgow, which purported to have ‘The Best Restaurant Service’.
[L. Knighton collection]