Journal 26 — Autumn 2004

Table of Contents

  • Front cover

    Front cover

    At a time when every schoolboy dreamed of becoming an engine driver, image the joy of the young lad pictured on No. 2972. The locomotive on which he proudly stands was originally No. 1204, one of the first batch of 120 of Samuel Johnson’s goods engines built in 1875 and 1876. The plate of its maker, Beyer Peacock, has been replaced by one stating ‘Boiler New Derby 1902.’ In 1880 the locomotive was as Manchester, but by 1892 had been transferred to Wellingborough. It was moved to Carlisle about 1919, havinf been replaced by the new Fowler class 4s. After further shed changes it was renumbered 22972 in 1934 but was withdrawn during the same year. The photograph was probably taken at Wellingborough about 1910. Three foremen (titles on their caps) and two shunters are standing in front of the engine. The shapeless uniforms will be noted, though the corduroy of the shunters would have been more comfortable than the heavy cloth worn by their superiors.

    [G. Waite collection; notes by Peter Witts]

  • Rear cover

    St. Andrews Church in Derby was known as ‘the railwayman’s church.’ This appeal from the new incumbent, the Reverend Melville H. Scott, to the shareholders of the Midland Railway in 1872 highlights some severe financial difficulties from the building of the church.