Journal 21 — Winter 2002
Table of Contents
- Early Accidents on the Midland Railway: 1847 (part 1) / By Chris Rouse
- From Cheltenham to Bournemouth in Somerset & Dorset Joint Carriages / By Russ Garner
- Locomotive Aesthetics / By Jack Braithwaite
- The Midland Railway's 100 ton gun truck / By Tony Harden, Peter Witts, Roy Burrows, Charles Underhill, David Wrottesley & Glynn Waite
- Beyond the Boundaries (4) / By David Geldard
Comments on Items in Previous Journals
- Deeley and the 900 Class [no.14, p.4]
- Miner's strikes and their effect on the Midland Railway [no. 18, p. 1]
- Turntables used by the Midland division engines [no. 19, p. 15]
- Helpston station waiting shelter [no. 19, p. 17]
- LMS Sentinel railcars [no. 20 cover and p. 21 - under 'Crosshill & Codnor']
- Focus on signalling at Chellaston Junction and the surrounding area [no. 21, p. 1]
- Locomotive aesthetics [no. 20, p. 10]
- Query 31: Accident in Dove Holes tunnel [no. 20, p. 19]
- Query 32: Where was this photo taken? [no. 20, p. 20]
- New query 33: Where was this crossing?
An atmospheric view of Armathwaite station, looking north, around the turn of the century. The ladies on the Down platform have quite a number of baskets; perhaps they are taking their local produce to Carlisle to sell at the market. The signalbox, which was opened on the 14th July 1899, replacing the original 1875 structure, controlled a couple of lie byes and quite extensive goods facilities. No photograph of the station in the pre-grouping days appears to be complete without a number of cattle wagons in the siding adjacent to the Down platform.
[Cumbrian Railways Association Wilson-Mitchell Collection]
On 1st July 1903 the Midland took over the Belfast & Northern Counties Railway. Fourteen months later it introduced fast steamer services to both Belfast and Londonderry from its new port at Heysham. This advertisement is from an illustrated booklet about the facilities offered in Ireland following these two events. The B&NC leased the Northern Counties Hotel at Portrush — formerly known as the Antrim Arms &mdash in 1883 and purchased it in 1891. It was primarily for high-class tourists, and was extended a number of times. The Station Hotel at Belfast, which was subsequently renamed the Midland, was opened in November 1898 at a cost of £16,000. The smoke room on the ground floor was used for the bi-annual shareholders’ meetings. The Laharna Hotel at Larne was opened in 1903, replacing an earlier structure that burned down two years earlier, and was a base for the ‘all-in tour.’ The management of the hotel passed to the NCC in 1909.
[G. Waite collection]