Front Cover: The illustration on our front cover also forms Fig. 1 of our leading article by Andrew Surry on the Tewkesbury and Malvern Railway. The caption below is that for Fig. 1 of Andrew’s article. This coloured postcard view, based upon a photograph by W.H. Mizen of Upton-on-Severn station around 1906, shows the buildings there complete with glass canopies and Midland barge boards. The pattern bricks were yet more elaborate on the station entrance and even the weigh-bridge house had an elegantly pointed gothic roof. Clearly no expense was spared, which was unfortunate for the company, which had no expense to spare. [Midland Railway Study Centre, No. 68074: John Alsop collection]
Back Cover: Our Back Cover shows a Midland Railway handbill advertising the new return services of through-carriages to Birmingham from London St. Pancras via Wigston South Junction. The timings confirm those that John Gough provided in his response (From St. Pancras to Birmingham by Scheduled Train, Midland Railway Society Journal No. 59, Autumn, 2015, pp.31) to George Huxley’s original Query No. 114. This is one piece of evidence in support of what we know about this obscure service of the Midland Railway, and John Stevenson’s article pulls together that information and what can be reliably surmised about how the Midland moved the through-carriages at Wigston. [John Stephenson Collection]
Front Cover: Hugh Llewelyn took this fine photograph of the frontage to Worcester Shrub Hill (joint GWR/MR) station in August 1982. It shows well the Georgian-style architecture built in 1865 mainly of engineering brick with stone facing to the design of the engineer, Edward Wilson. This photograph illustrates the station at Worcester from which the mail bags were dispatched, as described in the introduction to John Soer’s fourth instalment of his ‘Mail on the Midland’. But Wilson’s station was not the first station here. That one was opened in 1850, under joint ownership of the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton and the Midland railways. Until 1852 it was used only as a terminus for the Midland’s services from Birmingham. [© Hugh Llewelyn: reproduced under a Creative Common licence]
Back Cover: Our Back Cover shows an attractive Midland Railway poster advertising the Midland’s services to Scotland. It is not dated, but it was probably in circulation in the years just before WW1. There was then no more need to highlight the outstanding dining facilities on these Midland trains. Clearly, it had become general knowledge amongst the wealthy class who would have used the service. The claim that the Midland had the ‘Most Interesting Route to Scotland’ was no idle boast. Whether the train took the line north to Derby via Leicester or to Nottingham via Melton Mowbray, the passenger was treated to lovely views over the pastoral counties of the Midlands. From Derby north, there were the lovely Derwent and Amber valleys and, after the industrial powerhouse of the line through Sheffield to Leeds, there was the varied scenery of the Aire valley before the splendour of the Settle and Carlisle line. Then, there was the final majesty of the Scottish lines. One from Carlisle over the G&SWR line from Dumfries up the Nith valley into Ayrshire and thence to Glasgow. The other via the NBR Waverley route to Edinburgh over the Scottish Border hills. [Ian Howard collection]
Front Cover: This photograph was taken by C. W. Harris, a railwayman who worked on the permanent way in the area around Harringworth Viaduct. This anticipates our leading article by Robin Cullup, who has supplied a number of Harris’ photographs to illustrate the Society’s latest publication, the Nottingham Loop Line of the Midland Railway, by Michael Woodward. The picture shows Glendon South Junction with the Nottingham line curving round to join the line from Leicester. The Leicester lines are in the foreground, and the signal box just controlled the junction on the Nottingham line. The slow lines continued for several hundred yards north to the signal box at Glendon North. We see ex-MR 3F 0–6–0 No. 43499, which was allocated to Toton in the 1950s, as it came round the corner with a short train with some of the large loaded coke hoppers in front of the usual coal wagons. [Robin Cullup collection]
Back Cover: Our Back Cover is one of a group of Special Train Notices and other documents rescued from Asselby signal box in November 1968, just before the Hull & Barnsley lines was due to close. Some of these later came into the hands of the Hull & Barnsley Railway Stock Fund, and two members, David R. Smith and Nick P. Fleetwood, produced a booklet based on these rather special relics under the auspices of that Society. The title is Late 19th Century Railway Working — the H&BR Special Train Notices 1886–87. The STN selected for our back cover is No. 170 for Saturday 18th June 1887. The top working was one to the Midland Railway via Hensall, the destinations being Leeds (Wellington) and Saltaire. It is clear that a Midland pilot was required over the Midland lines. This document illustrates some of the points made by David Smith in his contribution to our "Comments" section where he enlarges upon the several contributions already made about H&B workings over the Midland Railway.