Front Cover: Our cover photograph showing several locomotives at Westhouses shed anticipates that of the centre spread of this issue and the short article that goes with it. That on the front cover was taken between 1st February 1903, when the new RCH locomotive head codes were brought into use on the Midland (and the other main railway companies) and May 1904, when Kirtley 0–6–0 No. 539 was broken up. No. 539 can be seen in the gap between the two locomotives at the front, the one on the right being No. 1460. Having chosen this photograph for the front cover, your Editor then noticed something very special; one of those coincidences that seem to be so fortunate that the laws of probability do not apply. The locomotive on the same road as No. 539 and to the right of it was No. 371, the subject of our centre spread. It then seems likely that the unknown photographer who took our centre spread picture of No. 371 also took that on the front cover. The print of No. 371 with driver and foreman on the footplate was possibly a gift from the photographer to the driver, Joseph Brooks. That print was then kept in the family for more than 100 years, the memory of its meaning gradually disappearing, until Mrs. Marriott, Joseph's grand-daughter brought it to a meeting to try to discover what it was. [Jack Braithwaite collection]
Front Cover: The Settle & Carlisle line is on an embankment starting about ¾ mile from the little town of Settle itself, and continuing for about another mile. The Marshfield viaduct, seen in the centre of our cover photograph, is the most impressive feature of this small section of the Midland’s great mountain railway. This lovely 'autochrome' photograph, taken around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, looking almost due east, shows the viaduct well with the town on the other side of the railway. This coloured image leads us into two items in this issue, one being a companion to a much earlier photograph in the article by Mark Rand that shows the viaduct with navvy huts at the base. The other, a small feature on the viaduct itself, compares the cover photograph with one from the Study Centre, and asks what were the four large poles seen on the right hand side of the structure. [Ian Howard collection: copies obtainable from the U.S. Library of Congress at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsc.09069]
Back Cover: Unfortunately, there is no date on this two-sided MR leaflet, one side of which we show on the back cover. The other side consists of drawings of the varied and interesting scenery that one could see on the journey from Liverpool to London over the Midland Railway's route. It was issued to capture the attention of transatlantic passengers arriving in Liverpool and wishing to journey onwards to London. Despite being undated, the leaflet must have been issued after February 1880, when John Noble took over from James Allport as General Manager of the Midland.
Pullman cars were introduced on Midland trains between Liverpool, Manchester and London on 1st April 1875 with drawing room cars in the formation of the 10.30a.m. from Liverpool (Central) due at St. Pancras at 4.5p.m., the return service from London at 4.p.m. reaching Liverpool 6 hours later. First and third class passengers were conveyed at ordinary fares in ordinary carriages, second class having been withdrawn from the Midland on 1st January, 1875. A Pullman sleeping car was also run between Liverpool and St. Pancras at this period. However, by 1878, the late-afternoon day service from Liverpool had been stopped, the reduced service being a reflection of the reluctance of the British public to use these vehicles. However, by the time this leaflet was issued, the larger number of trains advertised in the service (both ordinary and with Pullmans) show that the Midland were attempting once more to entice the public onto these luxurious vehicles. [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust, No. 01890: Midland Railway Study Centre]
Front Cover: This postcard photograph picks up the theme (the Midland’s new steamships) of the centre spread in our previous issue. The picture shows the unloading of cattle from the Steamship "Antrim" at Heysham harbour some time in 1904–1905. The card was posted on 19th July 1905, but it is, unfortunately not possible to discern from the postmark from where it was sent. The work of unloading is clearly seen in the photograph. It appears that most of the cattle brought over on that trip from Northern Ireland had been unloaded, and the photographer had captured the last of them coming off the ship. The cattle had been transported from Belfast in the hold, and they were discharged from the ship, as we see here, up a wooden, high-sided ramp. It can be seen near the dock-side crane, and where a temporary gate had been erected to stop the cattle wandering along the quay-side. A group of men can be seen relaxing at the top of the ramp. Although not to be seen in this view, the cattle would be heading for the overhead cattle bridge at Heysham that allowed them to moved safely from the harbour-side, over the railway track in between, and into the cattle pens. [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust, No. 06476: Midland Railway Study Centre]
Back Cover: Although workmens' (mainly, but not exclusively, miners) trains were an important part of the services provided by the Midland Railway, they have hardly been discussed at all in the literature. This seems to your editor to be an area ripe for investigation. This handbill advertised a new set of services for workmen that the Midland started to operate in 1909 up the valley from Swansea. It moved men from Swansea only for the morning shift, the other two of the day being, apparently, the business of somebody else. Does anyone know anything else about these services, in particular, how well they were received or how long they lasted? [Ian Howard Collection]