Front Cover: The cover photograph reflects on a fact of Lincoln life that has bedevilled its citizens for more than 150 years. Our article on the life of Mr. William Nicholson, one time Chief Goods Clerk for the Midland Railway at Lincoln, reveals the complexity of the problem.
Lincoln was notorious for the delays caused by the two sets of level crossings on the High Street; one at the Midland’s St. Mark’s station, and the other at the Great Northern station, a little closer to the centre of the town. Mark Warrick took this photograph of the one at St Mark’s, catching a lull in the traffic so that the level crossing gates and the down platform buildings are in the shot. When the gates were closed to traffic, as was often the case, the build-up of traffic was very considerable. After St. Mark’s closed in 1985, services that used to terminate here have to cross High Street at the other level crossing to get to Central (on the site of the old Great Northern station). So, although there is now only one crossing in the High Street, more trains have to cross it. [Courtesy of Mark Warrick: http://www.flickr.com/photos/frmark/5369912134/]
Back Cover: Your Editor photographed this large Midland Railway poster in September 2010 whilst it was hanging, in its frame, in the restricted section of the Midland Railway Study Centre. It shows a typical MR map of the system around which there are pictures of notable places in the cities that the Midland served. Most of these are places to which tourists would naturally gravitate, like the Houses of Parliament in London and the waterfront at Liverpool. However, the designer of this poster chose the new station at Leicester to denote that town, it then being the only one identified by the Midland’s own building. That suggests that the date was soon after the new station came into service, a little after 1895. One vignette, the only one not of a town, shows the Forth bridge, of which the Midland provided one quarter of the finances and had a quarter share. It was opened in 1890.
Front Cover: It is quite remarkable how closely St. Enoch station in Glasgow (the terminus of the Midland’s main Scottish partner, the Glasgow and South Western Railway) mirrored that of the Midland’s terminus in London, St. Pancras station. Both railways had to climb over a nearby water-course, the River Clyde for the G&SWR, and the Regent’s canal for the Midland Railway. In consequence, each station was at a high level, St. Pancras station being built over the famous beer cellars and St. Enoch station on a set of arches that allowed several roads to run transversely under the station. The St. Enoch hotel was the largest of Glasgow’s three railway hotels, having 200 bedrooms and 20 public rooms. The imposing frontage facing St. Enoch Square was 360ft long and 120ft high and the North wing, seen along the road at the left of the autochrome was 500ft long. Both stations had imposing train sheds, which is not surprising since that at St. Enoch was modelled on Barlow’s masterpiece at St. Pancras. [Ian Howard collection: copies obtainable from the U.S. Library of Congress at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsc.07597]
Back Cover: We depart in this issue from our normal practice of having illustrations printed within the article to which they relate. The two tickets illustrated on our back page are the subject of Roy Burrow’s latest article on items from the Study Centre. The reason they appear there rather than with the article itself is that the back page is the only place where they can appear in the colour in which they were originally printed. As Roy describes in his article, the ticket at the top (No. 16535) was probably issued on the day of the official opening involving special trains for the Directors, shareholders and friends. The ticket on the bottom (No. 16536) was, Roy suggests, a printer’s proof. [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust, Nos. 16535 & 16536: Midland Railway Study Centre]
Front Cover: This early 20th century Midland official (DY 1824) view of the throat of St. Pancras station is remarkably rich in detail. The photographer had positioned the camera on the west departure line by St. Pancras Junction signalbox. The two lines to the right of the west departure line are the down and up main lines. Behind the box are the down and up goods lines. In the background stands the great mass of the goods station and on the right — looking nicely painted — are two of the gas-holders of the Imperial Gas Company. The trees on the left are in the Old St. Pancras Churchyard. Many aspects of Midland track and signalling design are clearly shown. Note instances of signals for both directions mounted on one post. Note also the fine telegraph masts to be seen in front of the trees and some good lighting fittings (both north of the signalbox and on the water-tower). Last but not least, a sense of period is brought out strongly by the enamelled advertisements to the left of locomotive No. 125 (standing fully coaled in the turntable sidings), including amongst others Sutton’s Seeds, Maple & Co., Pears Soap, and Nestles Milk. [Jack Braithwaite collection]
Back Cover: This handbill of July 1909 was produced to advertise a new service provided by the Midland and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railways from Huddersfield and Halifax southwards through the Midland system. It continued, and formed part of the complexity five years later that is discussed by Garth Ponsonby in his article based on the 1914 Midland carriage Marshalling booklet. [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust, No. 14520: Midland Railway Study Centre]