Cover photo: No. 902 is shown on the 50ft turntable at the engine servicing point just outside Leeds (Wellington) station. It is one of Mathew Kirtley’s 890 Class locomotives, 62 of which were built between 1871 and 1875. Essentially an updates version of his 800 Class double framed engines, all were destined to be rebuilt by Johnson which resulted in the 890s being almost indistinguishable from his own locomotives. No, 902 spent most of its life based in Yorkshire, initially on the principle expresses, being progressively at Normanton, Sheffield and Hellifield, and survived until 1928. The other locomotive appears to be one of the Leeds based Johnson 1400 Class 2–4–0s. Taken in June 1906 at a time of transition in livery, the Johnson engines represents the Victorian era with its rather showy lining out. We also have a rare view of the back of a tender with the plates carrying the loco number and water capacity (lower) both prominent. No. 902 is in the rather American styling of Richard Deeley with large tender numerals, smokebox numberplate, and very restrained edging.
The locomotive servicing point allowed engines to turn and take water. It would have been used by those on shorter runds, such as to Sheffield, that still had enough coal for the return journey, and reduced the number of engine movements to and from Holbeck shed. Just to the west, at Leeds Junction — one of the busiest junctions on the system — the main lines to London and Bedford diverged. Despite quadrupling in the area, 170 yards at the junction itself remained double track until 1927, perhaps due to land acquisition problems. [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust : notes by Peter Witts]
Back cover: The cover of a 16 page booklet for the French and Belgian traveller advertising the ‘Chemins de Fer Midland D'Angleterre’. It contains details of the usual tourist spots and hotels and has no fewer than 8 maps. Principle fares from ‘Londres (St. Pancras)’ are also included. [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust]
Cover photo: Apart from stations, perhaps the most photographed scenes in Midland Railway days were groups of staff. Fortunately, many of these were taken against features that identified the locations, which is therefore of immense help to the historian. In this case, there is no disputing the location — although the official name of the station was actually Pinxton & Selston! While railways were labour intensive in those days, photos of staff tended to exaggerate this feature as many were taken at shift changeover, and perhaps that is the case here. The photograph probably includes both passenger and goods staff. The person seated in the centre is presumably the Station Master. In 1895, the post was occupied by Joseph Mounsey. He was succeeded by a person with the surname Ainge, while W. Tanner is recorded as the SM in 1904. A 1908 trade directory shows the occupant as J. Tanner. This may well have been the same person, although it is not unknown for members of the same family to succeed one another &mdash the Pitts at Rowsley being an example at the end of the nineteenth century. In 1916, the SM was William Henry Pugh while, at the grouping, William Wadeson occupied the post. Those who have made a study of uniforms will be able to tell us when this photograph was taken. [G. Waite collection]
Back cover: Chris Rouse’s series on early accidents vividly highlights how dangerous the railways were in their early years. It is clear from this circular, issued fifty years after the formation of the Midland Railway, that accidents still occurred quite frequently. The directors have decided to grant gold and silver medals for employees who give first aid to others ‘in severe cases of accident.’ Interestingly, the employees had to nominate themselves. Details of the awards for the year ending 30th September 1918 are discussed in a separate article in the issue. [G. Waite collection]
Cover photo: This nicely balanced photograph of an Up express taking water on Loughborough troughs is probably one of six taken on 26th July 1911, which are included in the Derby negative registers as Nos.9534 to 9539. However, this is one of a number of shots to be found on postcards with a different reference number on the face. Was there an earlier numbering system, or were they labelled by the person who owned them at the time? The troughs, which were built on both the passenger and goods lines, and opened on 18th April 1904, were actually situated approximately 1.5 miles north of Loughborough station. [G. Waite collection]
Back cover: An agreement with the Great Western Railway dated 10th May 1889, which relates to through bookings. Its origins were almost certainly the result of a dispute between the two companies, as clause 7 refers to the Midland withdrawing its objection tot he two Great Western amalgamation bills. The Cornwal and Llanelly Railways were respectively amalgamated with the Great Western by acts of 24th June and 1st July of the same year. [L. Knighton collection]